Tuesday, September 25, 2012

sifnos part two

 Vacation days are over, but my brain is still on the island... I wish there was a way I could spend the winter there! I think it would be fascinating, to live like a local, walk around quiet cobblestone streets, with no tourists around and just paint all day... The winter there is mild with lots of rain and doesn't get windy like it does during the summer. ( i did ask,, just in case, Lol)
The most beautiful place in Sifnos, to me is the Kastro. (all the pics are from there).

It is an ancient "castle" built on a rock and the houses are mostly two stories. some of them have little bridges, it's very rugged and has narrow streets. In ancient times it was sealed with  arcades, like war towers to protect the settlement. Three of these entrances are still standing!
This is one of them. They're called "lotzies".
 The view to the Aegean was.....spectacular!!  That little church looks like it's floating in the sea.. I was too scared to walk down there to visit. It seemed a bit too steep of a path. yikes!!
This is a wild fig cactus! the figs are quite tasty, I'm told.
I met some really wonderful people in Sifnos and one of them is Kelly, all the way from Oklahoma.
 She came to visit Greece and decided to live here for one year.. well, that was thirteen years ago!! hahaha  Miss Kelly fell in love with a Greek guy, Tony, and lives on the island nine months out the year, the rest of the time she's here in Athens and goes to the US for the holidays. We'll be hanging out in the winter, she happens to have an apt, close to mine :)  
I thought that was such a nice story when I met her. all the way from Oklahoma! wow!  Isn't it so amazing how being at the right place, at the right time can change your life?!  One day you're in Oklahoma and the next in Sifnos, of all places!! Lol 
 I love stories like that! how your life can change overnight, hopefully for the better, but even if it's something bad..it always has a deeper purpose, one that we don't realize right away and it turns out good in the end. no matter how bad it was...
Hope you are well my friend and creating, creating, creating.! I have started a painting, it's far from done, too many things to take of, business mostly, before I can concentrate on my canvas.
I also want to share with you, something I received in the mail after I got back, but that will be my next post :)  

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos, I would love to visit this island. No wonder you fell in love with it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow the island looks wonderful and was particularly taken with that marvellous paving, such great colours. Its great to make a new friend, enjoy your winter together. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE love that you met a new friend :). You are right about the perfect time, perfect place you'll meet someone. Synchronicity. LOVE LOVE all the photos you shared here. Just like in Mama Mia!!. And that little church :). The sea view is gorgeous. I hope I could visit Greece one day :).

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate every comment you leave me. Thank you for your support!